Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter!

I know I'm a little late to the party on that one, but today was pretty busy.

After a short visit to the National Infantry Museum (it was closed), The Lunch at Denny's That Wouldn't End (we were there for over an hour before we got our food), and another trip to Wal-Mart, I basically cooked all afternoon.

I'll admit I was feeling a little blue--mostly homesick.  I always feel that way around holidays we don't get to go home for, but for some reason, this Easter it felt a bit worse than normal.  It seems like Jimmy and I were the only people on post who didn't go home and spend Easter with family, or have anyone come here to visit.  Most Easters, I'd be spending Thursday, Friday, and Sunday morning with my church family, doing church related things, and then Sunday there would be a big to-do with my family at my Aunt Carole's house that would include a Honey Baked Ham.  This year was different.  Good, but different, and it left me feeling a little sad.

So, naturally, I cooked. We had ham with the neighbors while watching Duck Dynasty, so I made scalloped potatoes, sauteed zucchini, and a favorite tradition from home--lamb rolls. 

They're a favorite of my Mom and I, and the rolls are so easy to make--mostly because they start out frozen!  Mom found them in a magazine one year, and they've been my favorite bread to bring to Easter ever since.  Here's what you'll need:

15 Rhodes frozen dinner rolls, thawed but still cold.
1 egg, beaten
1 dried cranberry
Sesame seeds


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  On greased or papered baking sheet, cut 12 rolls into fourths.  Leave one roll whole, and cut the remaining two in half.

 

Arrange the quartered rolls in the shape of lamb’s body and top of head.   Shape the whole roll into an oval for the face.  Place on one side of the upper body.  Take a half roll and shape it for the ear (set on top of the rolls that make the head) and another half for the tail.  Take the last two halves and place them below the lamb in the shape of a “U” for the legs.


Brush the lamb with egg, and place the dried cranberry on the face for an eye.  Sprinkle all but the face, tail, ear and legs with sesame seeds.   



Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise 30-45 minutes. DO NOT MAKE THE NIGHT BEFORE.  The dough should only rise for an hour maximum—otherwise you will be left with a supersized lamb that is mushy and doesn’t bake right.  Yes, I am speaking from experience...






I let this lamb rise for half an hour on top of the preheating oven, and it turned out perfectly.  After it is done rising, remove wrap and bake for 20 minute at 350 degrees.  You will be left with a lovely, seasonal pull-apart bread that didn't take all that much work!


If y'all have any more Easter events this season, try it and let me know what you think!  Even if you don't, this is good to make just for a fun spring-y substitute to a plain dinner roll.



No comments:

Post a Comment