Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pizza Fondue

Ugh.

Yesterday, I made the horrific mistake of going grocery shopping the day after payday and the day before a major holiday... Never again.  It took me until now to recover enough to post anything.  (This is my excuse for not posting yesterday, and I'll stick to it through all the tortures of hell.)

In other news, Pizza Fondue is what was for dinner.  Jimmy had a 24 hour duty yesterday, and his dinner break was quite short.  So I needed something quick and easy, and something that would keep for a while if he didn't get home exactly when he was supposed to.  Pizza Fondue to the rescue!  It's one of the easiest recipes EVER.  Literally.  You brown up some ground beef and onion, then throw it in a crock pot with cheese, pizza sauce, and some spices.  Once the cheese melts, you serve it fondue-style with pieces of french bread, and BAM.  You have dinner.

I threw it together in a hurry so I could babysit for Mike and Caitlyn while they went out to dinner, so I didn't get any pictures of the process.  But it's so simple! 

Here's what you'll need:



INGREDIENTS
1 medium onion, chopped
Two 10 ½ oz cans pizza sauce
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ green pepper, chopped fine
10 oz cubed cheddar cheese
1 lb ground beef
1 ½ tsp fennel
8 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
1 ½ tsp oregano
1 loaf French bread

DIRECTIONS

1.       Brown meat, with onion and green pepper.
2.       Put all ingredients except mozzarella cheese into crock pot on low.
3.       Once the cheddar cheese melts, put in the mozzarella cheese.  Serve with slices of French bread when all cheese is melted.

I     I actually don't use the green pepper, simply because I don't like it.  And I'm a salt addict, so I tend to throw in some seasoned salt just for good measure. And I'm not super fond of mozzarella cheese, so I don't always use the full 8 ounces. Clearly, this recipe is something that easily adjusts to your personal tastes. Since this is supposed to be a "fondue," I serve it in bowls with torn off bits of french bread on the side.  Sliced bread is so overrated.

      Here's what the finished product should look like:  


      Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment