Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pre-Payday Dinner Blues

Well, it's three days before payday, and that means the same thing to roughly 90% of the working class that it does to me; there's not a damn thing left in the house to cook for dinner.  My husband (reading over my shoulder) would like me to point out that we still have "box dinners" (Hamburger Helper), which is true.

Except we have no hamburger.  Or chicken.  I think we *might* have two cans of tuna in the pantry, but I'm too afraid of canned fish to try those.  So really, we have lots of helper, but nothing in the fridge to help.

Oh, and there's frozen tilapia.  But Frozen Tilapia Alfredo doesn't sound super appealing to me.

Anyways.  My lovely neighbor Caitlyn turned me on to these Hamburger Helper Complete Meal things, which apparently have everything you need right there in the box, except for the water and in some cases, the milk.


 Not going to lie, I was a little skeptical.  Anything in the non-refrigerated section of the grocery store that claims to have chicken right there in the box makes me a little nervous.  But hey, pre-payday, and this box costs $2.65 at the commissary, so there you go.


This is what it looked like when it came out of the oven.  Still skeptical.  It was supposed to be nine one-inch biscuits, not one nine-inch biscuit...


Anyways, once you get it on a plate it kind of looks like chicken pot pie.  And it turns out it pretty much tastes like chicken pot pie too. Jimmy and I both went back for seconds, which turned out to be basically the whole pan.  And this whole rant about a boxed meal is to tell you one thing;  these things are awesome.

See, I love to cook.  I'm actually a pretty damn good cook, and it's one of the few domestic housewife-y things I enjoy.  So these things are never going to be the bread and butter of my cookbook, but for three days before payday and cupboards like Old Mother Hubbard's, these things are kind of a lifesaver.

On another note, I suppose I have to admit that being home all day day sometimes has its perks.  Like the fact that today I went to get a massage and manicure in the middle of the day, courtesy of the--how often do I have to ask you not to read over my shoulder?!  Yes, you, James.  Watch the show.

Excuse my husband's interruption.  And just as I was about to say how wonderful he was for the gift certificate to Caravail's Day Spa so I could get all these lovely things done that he got me for Valentine's Day.  Now I've lost my train of thought.  In any event, there are perks to being home all day.  But then I came home, and more laundry had materialized since I had been gone... So you'll excuse me if I hold off on getting too excited.  In the meantime, I have to go change over the laundry.

I know.  My life is so exciting.  It's okay to be jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment