Thursday, August 8, 2013

Pesto Chicken and Creamy Rice... Om nom.

Okay guys, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret--I LOVE to cook.

Oh wait, I've said that before? That's not a secret?  Oops.  Not a secret... I guess it's also not a secret that some nights (read: work weeknights) that I just do NOT want to spend four hours in the kitchen.  But I also don't want what comes out of my kitchen to taste like it came out of a Hamburger Helper box, either.  (Unless it did.  But not really, cause I modify and season the hell out of my Hamburger Helper meals... You get my drift.)

So I have some secret meals up my sleeve.  Some delicious, juicy, decadent meals that take roughly twenty minutes to throw together.  And I'm about to share one with you.

I found this recipe for Pesto Chicken and Creamy rice via Pinterest, on PlainChicken.com.  This is basically Steph's recipe, but I made a few changes to it.  You can head on over there and read her recipe (but mine has pictures along the way!)

This is basically everything you'll need to make this recipe:

http://distilleryimage2.ak.instagram.com/1bc40daefee011e28fba22000a1fb1a7_7.jpg

1 package boneless chicken (I use tenderloins)
1 package Near East brand Long Grain and Wild Rice
2 cups milk (I used 1%)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
3 tsp garlic powder, divided
2 Tbsp pesto
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Seasoned salt and pepper to taste

First, preheat your oven to 375.  I always forget this step.  So if it doesn't come first, it's no big deal.  You'll just have to wait a few minutes to put it in.  I find the preheating time to be an excellent time to have a glass of wine.

Next, mix the milk, the soup, the rice (including the seasoning packet), the salt and pepper, and two teaspoons of the garlic in a 9x13 glass baking dish.  It will look a little funky, like mine does in the picture below.  If you choose NOT to use Near East Long Grain and Wild Rice (it's not necessary, you can use any old non-instant rice--this just happens to be my and Jimmy's favorite), it will look LESS funky than mine, because the Near East seasoning packet is green... It looks better when it's cooked, I swear.


http://distilleryimage8.ak.instagram.com/92790d18fee111e28a1a22000aa81ffa_7.jpg

Next, lay out the chicken on top of the rice/soup mixture.  I use the term "on top of" lightly, because the chicken will kind of sink, and that's okay.  We're not going for magazine worthy photos of our food, here.  (Also, once upon a time my mom dated a photographer who actually did a lot of food spreads for magazines, and she told me the food is inedible once they're done with the photos.  They have to cover the Thanksgiving turkeys in shellac to get them all shiny like that.  So don't feel bad when your food photos don't look like that.  At least we can eat yours.)  Ahem. Anyways.  Then sprinkle the chicken with the remaining teaspoon of garlic powder.

http://distilleryimage0.ak.instagram.com/1f0d2016fee211e2b8f122000a1f9345_7.jpg

Next, spread some pesto on each of the chicken pieces.  I won't lie to you, I use WAY more than two tablespoons.  I love pesto.  I could bathe in the stuff.  Except that would be gross and green... But whatever.  I still could.

IMPORTANT NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT STICK THE SPOON BACK IN THE JAR AFTER IT'S TOUCHED THE CHICKEN.  I don't want anyone getting salmonella from spaghetti night later on my account.  The way I do it is I scoop some pesto out of the jar with a spoon, slide it on to each chicken tenderloin with a (clean!) finger, and then when they all have pesto on them, I spread it around so the chicken is evenly covered.  This time it didn't matter because I was using the last of a jar, but still.  Don't do it.

http://distilleryimage8.ak.instagram.com/b8eaca76fee211e2931722000a1fc67c_7.jpg

See? Now they all look pretty and pesto-ed.

Now, all that's left to do is smother sprinkle the chicken with parmesan cheese.  Do yourself a favor and use the good stuff, not the powdered stuff in a can.  That's good enough for some dishes, but not for this one.  I used more than a 1/4 cup of cheese.  I have an ongoing love affair with cheese, and no one can stop me.  So use however much or little your heart desires.

http://distilleryimage1.ak.instagram.com/f4fa68c8fee211e29ad022000a1f9a79_7.jpg

And you're done!  Cover that sucker with foil and pop it in the oven for 45 minutes.  I repeat: COVER IT WITH FOIL.  I can't stress that enough.  I forgot to one time, and the result was disastrous.  The chicken was about as moist as cardboard and the rice was actually crunchy.  So please, please cover your delicious dish with foil.

http://distilleryimage5.ak.instagram.com/52c3191efee311e287df22000aaa05e7_7.jpg

Please ignore the nasty that is my oven.  Let's not talk about it.

A few quick notes:  This meal typically takes me 20 minutes to throw together (when I'm not taking pictures, that is).  If I know I'm going to be dead tired when I come home in the evening, I make it the morning of and put it in the fridge until it's time to cook--I've even made it the night before, and it turns out just fine.  Also, this is a DOUBLE RECIPE.  I've never learned to cook for two.  Thankfully, I have a husband who comes home for lunch and loves leftovers, so I cook for four and refrigerate what we don't eat.  If you want measurements for a single recipe that feeds two, head over to Plain Chicken and use Steph's measurements.

This meal pairs really well with frozen spinach or garlic bread.  Tonight I made it with lemon broccoli, which I found in a budget-friendly four-ingredient cookbook.  It's hit or miss with that book. It also has a recipe for hot dog soup.  But the broccoli was good, so I digress.

I should also warn you.  It is TOTALLY NECESSARY to do the dishes RIGHT AFTER this meal.  If you leave your 9x13 pan sit overnight, even soaking in hot, soapy water, you will be making a cleaning nightmare for yourself later.  I don't know if you know this, but pesto dries like concrete.  So, don't say I didn't warn you.

Anyways, protip for when it comes out of the oven: it's HOT.  The steam under the foil will be HOT.  Yes, I've burned myself on the steam before.  I highly recommend cutting some slits in the foil to let the steam escape for a few minutes while you finish up the rest of dinner.

http://distilleryimage5.ak.instagram.com/a838b7b8fee911e2bb6b22000a9f3c09_7.jpg

I go a little overboard because I really, really don't want to get burned again.  Anyways, finally, here's how it looks when it comes out of the oven:
 

http://distilleryimage3.ak.instagram.com/156ff738feea11e2893b22000aa8100d_7.jpg

YUM.  Yes, this picture is blurry.  I was hungry and in a hurry, okay?  Make it and try to take a few pictures while your mouth is watering, see how yours turn out.

http://distilleryimage10.ak.instagram.com/11a32eacfeec11e28e5d22000a1f979a_7.jpg

Enjoy!

I should also warn you.  It is TOTALLY NECESSARY to do the dishes RIGHT AFTER this meal.  If you leave your 9x13 pan sit overnight, even soaking in hot, soapy water, you will be making a cleaning nightmare for yourself later.  I don't know if you know this, but pesto dries like concrete.

No comments:

Post a Comment